Old 18-05-2010, 02:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default growing squash with few bees

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
A while back I was trying to identify whether I had cucumbers or melons.
Looking at the growing plant now, I'm thinking it must be squash, it's not
vining and the leaves are getting big. (shared seeds with neighbor)

I grew zuchini last year and had a lot of flowers but little in the way
of the vegetable itself. I think this was a pollination problem as I don't
have many bees here. What to do? I had no intention of trying squash
again!

Use a fine haired paintbrush such as you'd use to do a watercolour painting.
Shove it into the flowers and move from one flower to the next. It doesn't
take long to do and it works.