Old 18-05-2010, 02:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Have I seriously damaged my mower?

On May 18, 1:49*am, "Bob F" wrote:
Helen4521 wrote:
Can anyone help please? When I was mowing, I ran over a largish stone.
The mower made a noise like the stone was whizzing around with the
blades then white smoke came out of the exhaust. When I stopped the
mower, I tilted it up (only slightly) to see if the stone was still
underneath, didn't see it but saw score marks where it had been. The
blades still move OK. When I started the mower again, it sounded like
a tin can and there was a bit of oil coming out of the exhaust. Have I
done serious damage? What should I be checking next? The mower is
only 2 years old.

Pull the plug wire, and rotate the blade. Chances are, you will find that the
crankshaft is bent, causing one end of the blade to be higher than the other.

With oil coming out the exhaust after hitting a large rock, you have
serious damage and it isn't going to be cheap to fix. I'd try to get
a rough estimate over the phone on the repair cost range before
spending money on fixing it. If it's a low to mid-range mower, you
may be better off buying a new one and parting this one out on Ebay.
Start with the engine and tell them you hit a rock and it no longer
runs, all sales final, as is, etc. That usually gets people
interested. I'm amazed at what people will bid on crap like that on
Ebay.