Old 19-05-2010, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ross[_2_] Ross[_2_] is offline

Default Anyone growing PawPaws?

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Ross said:

Bill who putters wrote:
They may be able to handle partial sun. So I give it a go.

We have a young tree, just a bit over 6 feet tall. It has bloomed the
last few years, as a matter of fact it's in bloom right now. However, it
has never set fruit and after reading the other posts in this thread and
doing a bit of Googling, it is easier to understand why.

You need at least two trees as they aren't self-fertile.

That's probably the biggest reason, we bought two but the second is at
our daughter's place about 20 Km away.

Did ou read the bit about hanging chicken necks from the paw paw
trees to attract its natural pollinators (blow flies and carrion beetles)?

Yeah, I read that but, with only one tree, the chickens are safe.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada.
AgCanada Zone 5b
43º 17' 26.75" North