Old 19-05-2010, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Donnie[_2_] Donnie[_2_] is offline

Default Advice on (RE)starting a compost heap

davej wrote:

OK, many years ago, about 5 or 6 easily, I started 4 compost bins
and then for some reason we stopped composting proper and just
left them.

Recently however, with a change in circumstances came a change in
the amount of time I now have to sort out all those jobs Ive
never gotten round to and that includes the garden.

Recently I took off the compost bin itself from one of the smaller
heaps and broke it up as it had an ant nest in it, but the others
have been left until today.

Well, one we have started adding to recently as we have 3
chickens now and we've been adding the poo and the bedding etc to
that (a months worth if that) but its looking like its acting,
however this was thrown on top of the 5 or 6 year old previous
compost without doing anything to it.

the 3rd and 4th bins (actually old water butts that have now
actually degraded and cracked and are now useless) I have removed
today.

Strangely, both sets of compost are completely different!

One looks all lumpy, as in layered and cloying and difficult to
break up with the spade the other looks like proper compost
nearly, pure chalk and cheese!

Here's the pics comparing them, the first 2 are of the layered
clumpy type

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...s/IMG_3503.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...s/IMG_3509.jpg

then the better looking compost, not as good as what it looks
like shop bought but looks like it's getting that way if you see
what i mean

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...s/IMG_3510.jpg

So, now what Im wondering is , Im left with 2 proper compost bins
(plastic ones) so Im wondering if I should simply dig it all back
in together and restart the bins using it, maybe half in each or
just fill one up and top up then start the other one anew?

I would put it all into one. The chicken manure should help to
break it down. Is it a bit dry? May need wetting. Having had
lids on all this time it will have dried out somewhat.
In such situations it is usual to fill one bin (of whatever sort)
and then start on the next. By the time all 3 are full the first
should be down to half or less. Tip it out, fork it over, put it
back and give it a bit longer.

You should have some really good stuff.

Pam in Bristol

The first lot looks like grass cuttings which need to be turned
otherwise it clogs up like yours. Are there any worms in the second
lot? I'd put it all into one and try and encourage worms in it, the
banded type,tiger,composting whatever you call them. The presence of
ants does indicate too dry conditions. You could maybe try and drill
lots of holes in your containers as composting does require air too.

Cheers both, yes I think there was one where i basically put grass
cutting and nothing else in :-/

--
Donnie
Lambretta Series 2 186cc "The Shitter"