Old 20-05-2010, 11:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Potato experiment.

said:

Way back on Mon, 16 Nov 2009 16:43:14 -0500, I wrote:

Every year we seem to have volunteer potato plants which have grown
from potatoes we've missed when digging the previous year's crop.
These volunteers always seem to produce a large healthy crop of
tubers.
Because of this, we've been meaning for several years to try some fall
planted potatoes and finally, this year, we managed to plant several
different varieties in about 50 feet of row. It'll be interesting to
see how well they perform.

Well, the verdict is in and, even though we had the mildest winter in
living memory, the experiment was a total failure.
No sign of life in any of the potato rows. Dug up about 10 feet of row
and there wasn't even any sign of the potatoes we planted last fall. I
guess they were turned into worm fodder.
Live and learn.

I gave up growing potatoes as most of them would be eaten by voles.

When you fence out racoons and groundhogs, you end up creating a
sanctuary for small rodents as you've also fenced out cats, foxes, and
coyotes.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored