Old 20-05-2010, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Garden Trek III: The search for Shat

Lelandite wrote:

Never use cat, dog, or pig manure in vegetable gardens or compost piles.
Parasites that may be in these types of manure are more likely to
survive and infect people than those in other types of manure. It is
also important to keep your pets out of your vegetable garden.
http://www.umext.maine.edu/onlinepubs/htmpubs/2510.htm
--
- Billy

any manure from an animal that eats meat or will eat meat (including
humans)
can and has kept the e-coli bacteria cycle active. So, no, never use
this type
of "manure" on your garden(s). Natural grass eater (cow, horses, etc)
should never be fed any type of animal by-product as it, too, can and has
transferred e-coli. Slaughter houses where making extra $$ at our health
expense. I do have concerns seeing cow manure mixed with water and then
used to fertilize fields. These same fields are utilized as pasture or for
making hay bales. So back into the cow it goes.

And e-coli is another reason why everyone should wash their raw vegtables
bought from a chain store, such as strawberries, lettuce. It's not hard to
figure out why.

I'm very grateful that I live in a small enough town that uses not use
recycle
human waste. The larger municipal's state that their water meets EPA
guidelines for drinking water. Guidelines are not good enough for me.
They can make all the claims they want regardings recycling human waste
products and it's safety, but, nope, I aint a gonna drink it.

Donna
in WA zone 8-9

You do realize that position is not sustainable? All water is
recycled waste by now. The same water gets used over and over again
countless times. Cow manure has been fertilizing grazing fields for eons.

Bob