Old 20-05-2010, 07:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Cutting grape vine after last grape bunch .. (yes..no...) ?

In article ,
MrMe wrote:

My Niagra grape vine is doing very well this year and has put out
a decent quantity of bunches. The fruit are already 1/4 to 1/2 inch
diameter. A friend told me that I should cut all fruiting vines
immediatey after their last bunch. That I would get larger fruit. Is
there any merit in what I've been told ?

advTHANKSance

Paul

Where are you that you would be harvesting a North American grape
species, Vitis labrusca, in May?

Question aside, the answer is no.

The vine continues to store starches in its roots, made from
photosynthesis, to be used during the following budding season. If you
want to reduce next year's crop, cutting off the vines while they are
still in photosynthesis is an effective measure.

If you want larger fruit, give them more water.

If you want better quality, drop (cut off) a third of the clusters.

How many buds are you leaving when you prune?
--
- Billy