Old 21-05-2010, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
Lelandite Lelandite is offline

Default Garden Trek III: The search for Shat

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Lelandite wrote:

Never use cat, dog, or pig manure in vegetable gardens
or compost piles.
Parasites that may be in these types of manure are
more likely to
survive and infect people than those in other types of
manure. It is
also important to keep your pets out of your vegetable
garden.
http://www.umext.maine.edu/onlinepubs/htmpubs/2510.htm
--
- Billy
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism

any manure from an animal that eats meat or will eat
meat (including
humans)
can and has kept the e-coli bacteria cycle active. So,
no, never use
this type
of "manure" on your garden(s). Natural grass eater
(cow, horses, etc)
should never be fed any type of animal by-product as
it, too, can and has
transferred e-coli. Slaughter houses where making
extra $$ at our health
expense. I do have concerns seeing cow manure mixed
with water and then
used to fertilize fields. These same fields are
utilized as pasture or for
making hay bales. So back into the cow it goes.

And e-coli is another reason why everyone should wash
their raw vegtables
bought from a chain store, such as strawberries,
lettuce.

Most species of E. coli are harmless and serve to crowd
out pathogens in
our intestines. O157:H7 E. coli is a different matter. It
arose from
feed lot operations (CAFO), and has been responsible for a
number of
deaths from spinach to undercooked hamburgers. The
presence of E. coli
indicates fecal contamination.

It's not hard to
figure out why.

I'm very grateful that I live in a small enough town
that uses not use
recycle
human waste. The larger municipal's state that their
water meets EPA
guidelines for drinking water. Guidelines are not good
enough for me.
They can make all the claims they want regardings
recycling human waste
products and it's safety, but, nope, I aint a gonna
drink it.

Donna
in WA zone 8-9

You do realize that position is not sustainable? All
water is
recycled waste by now. The same water gets used over and
over again

tell that to the snow-capped mountains. And don't even
go
to evaporation. There is newness.

countless times. Cow manure has been fertilizing grazing
fields for eons.

Grew up on a farm. And you're right, cow manure usually
stayed where it was plopped. But back in those days,
farmers
did not fertilize their fields with water and manure. It
just
didn't make common sense then. I still say it doesn't.

Just one of the things people will disagree about
depending on
where they were raised and how life was during that time
period. I do know that kids never died from e-coli back
then.
Farmers seemed to just know that feeding any type of meat
by-product to grass eater just didn't make sense.

Donna

Bob