Old 21-05-2010, 05:57 AM posted to rec.gardens
Tony Tony is offline

Default Clover Control

zxcvbob wrote:
Frank McElrath wrote:
I have a bad clover problem here in the DC area. As much as I hate to
use chemicals, I may have to. We are planning to take a 3 week
vacation starting at the beginning of August.

Would I do damage to my grass if I sprayed a weedkiller on right
before we left, so as to minimize our exposure to it?

Fertilize lightly with a high-nitrogen fertilizer with no phosphorus.
Keep the grass mowed, and don't water it too much. (clover likes moist,
low-nitrogen soil with lots of phosphorus.) The grass should overtake
the clover in the hot summer months.

I agree with this completely. Clover, in general, indicates soil with
poor nutrient level, especially nitrogen. Farmers of yesteryear knew
soils where clover and Queen Anne's lace thrived were nutrient poor, and
they would either compensate with green or conventional manures to be
able to plant crops there, or simply would not use that piece of land
for cropping. Improve the conditions for the lawn grass, and the clover
will get choked out automatically.

If you just have to spray something, try something containing

dicamba or
triclopyr.

Also true, but consider spraying as an absolute LAST resort, please.

Tony