Old 21-05-2010, 12:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default acidify soil after planting blueberries?

On Thu, 20 May 2010 19:14:20 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Ohioguy wrote:

I planted 6 blueberry plants today, in a hedge along the south side
of my house. My experience with blueberries comes from planting a
couple of plants back in the middle 80's. Both died, because our
underlying bedrock is limestone, and we have a pH of around 7.5

I figured I'd get some aluminum sulphate, elemental sulphur, or
ammonium sulphate. Trouble is, none of the garden centers, big stores
or home improvement centers around here seem to carry any of these.
Many of them have bags of lime, however, which I can't figure out why
anybody around here would use. (soil is already naturally alkaline)

I've tried K-mart, Kroger, Lowe's, Home Depot, Meijer.

Can anyone recommend a chain store that carries one of these? Little
garden centers around here are no longer in business.

Thanks!

Can you ask a store to order elemental sulfur for you? The sulfur you
put on NOW, will affect next year's crop. Is there an university Ag.
extension, or master gardeners in your phone book, that you could ask
where to buy elemental sulfur? Potatoes are like blueberries in their pH
needs, and it seems most vegetables like the soil, a little on the
acidic side, so it seems like a reasonable thing for a garden center to
carry. Worse comes to worse, order it on the internet, and then keep
pushing your local gardening centers to carry it.
Try Home Despot
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...Display?jspSto
reDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&productId=100606947&na vFlow=3&keyword=sulfur&l
angId=-1&searchRedirect=sulfur&storeId=10051&endecaDataBe an=com.homedepot
.sa.el.wc.integration.endeca.EndecaDataBean%405bd 411b2&ddkey=Search
They should be able to deliver it to the store.

Here is a link to the Ag. extension offices in the US.
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/index.html

It's a good idea to start with them. They have the best information
about your area. Looks like Ohio has an office in every county. If
there are any farms in your area, look for a farm store. The
extension agent would know if there are any.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills