Old 21-05-2010, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

Default cuttings showing signs of success

I posted a few weeks ago about a cistus which had suffered badly
during the winter and was wisely advised by Janet Baraclough to a)
leave the plant in case it recovers and b) take some cuttings.

Success on both counts, the old cistus is struggling but definitely
not out but more surprising for me - whose previous cuttings
experience extended no further than hopefully sticking prunings in the
ground - the cuttings seem to be coming on ok. Of the random and
careless snippings I dipped in rooting powder and stuck in some seed
compost pushed to the edge of the pot, half are definitely showing
some new but very tiny leaf.

My question is, what is the next stage? More specifically:-

Do I leave them in the pot till the leaves get bigger?
Do I remove the plastic bag they've been covered in these last few
weeks?
Do I give them some direct sunlight/heat?
Should I put them in separate pots and with which compost? Or can
they go straight into the ground now?

I'd be most grateful for some advice. My total lack of experience
with cuttings leaves me fearful that the new growth may not yet
indicate enough of a root structure and so any action now would be
premature.

many thanks for any input....