Old 22-05-2010, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tomaz Cedilnik Tomaz Cedilnik is offline

Default Raspberry problem - are they still alive?

Hello

I'm new to this group, but I have checked older posts regarding raspberries
before writing this one.

Last year I planted 3 raspberry plants (Malling Jewel, Tulameen and Glen
Clova, bought from Homebase, in pots, canes sticking up 20cm or so). Things
started OK, but one of them withered really soon. Another started withering
after it already produced some flowers and immature raspberries. Only
Malling Jewel succeeded, it gave a decent crop. At the end of the fruiting
season I pruned the canes to just above ground level.
This year Malling Jewel has given me several more plants from suckers. The
other two, however, are just as I left them, canes up to just above the
ground level, no new growth, no green. The roots seemed OK last time I
checked (I had to replant them all during winter due to unforseen
circumstances).
No advice about complaining to Homebase, please, I haven't had the receipt
anymore when the problems started. I would just like an advice on whether to
give up on those 2 plants or not. How do I know if they are still worth
anything, will they revive (in reasonable time) and produce raspberries?

Tom