Old 22-05-2010, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Divingbrit Divingbrit is offline

Default Raspberry problem - are they still alive?

On Sat, 22 May 2010 13:11:18 +0100, "Tomaz Cedilnik"
wrote:

Last year I planted 3 raspberry plants (Malling Jewel, Tulameen and Glen
Clova,

Summer fruiting types

Only
Malling Jewel succeeded, it gave a decent crop. At the end of the fruiting
season I pruned the canes to just above ground level.

Not really the way to go, you cut out the old fruiting canes and keep
the new young canes to fruit the next year,

So you won't get any fruit this year, but if you get some canes you
will get fruit next year.

This year Malling Jewel has given me several more plants from suckers.

That's what you are looking for :-)

other two, however, are just as I left them,

Dead :-(

anything, will they revive (in reasonable time) and produce raspberries?

Try again, raspberries are one of the easiest things to grow once you
get them going, last year I froze over 40 LBS from a couple of rows no
longer than 12 feet each.

So next autumn buy ten bare rooted canes, cheapest way. after
planting cut them down to 6 inches, these will then send out suckers
(new canes) next year, they won't fruit, but in 2012 you will have
plenty of raspberries, and for the next 15 years!

www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info
www.lincolnshire2012.com