Old 22-05-2010, 03:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Una Una is offline

Default Clover Control

FarmI ask@itshall be given wrote:
????? Since clover is a nitorgen fixer, the soil where clover was growing
should be a prime place to plant.

That may be, *after* the clover has fixed nitrogen for a season or two.

Clover easily outcompetes grasses where the soil has very low nitrogen
but ample water. I am dealing with a lawn that was established decades
ago on sterile fill dirt, no topsoil. The lawn was treated all those
years with chemical fertilizers and weed killers, and had all clippings
removed to the local landfill, so it never developed any topsoil nor
built any reservoir of nitrogen. One area, near a gutter downspout,
has ample water and a great crop of clover. It is very green but has
stems like wire and mowing makes it look just awful. I mostly leave
the clover alone, knowing that in a few years when it has built up
enough nitrogen in the soil the grasses will gain the advantage. In
the meantime I have developed several very large compost piles, and
most of the finished compost is going onto the lawn. Now the lawn is
mowed with a mulching blade, and all vegetable debris remains on the
property.

Una