Old 22-05-2010, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Raspberry problem - are they still alive?

"Tomaz Cedilnik" wrote ...

I'm new to this group, but I have checked older posts regarding
raspberries before writing this one.

Last year I planted 3 raspberry plants (Malling Jewel, Tulameen and Glen
Clova, bought from Homebase, in pots, canes sticking up 20cm or so).
Things started OK, but one of them withered really soon. Another started
withering after it already produced some flowers and immature raspberries.
Only Malling Jewel succeeded, it gave a decent crop. At the end of the
fruiting season I pruned the canes to just above ground level.
This year Malling Jewel has given me several more plants from suckers. The
other two, however, are just as I left them, canes up to just above the
ground level, no new growth, no green. The roots seemed OK last time I
checked (I had to replant them all during winter due to unforseen
circumstances).
No advice about complaining to Homebase, please, I haven't had the receipt
anymore when the problems started. I would just like an advice on whether
to give up on those 2 plants or not. How do I know if they are still worth
anything, will they revive (in reasonable time) and produce raspberries?

Raspberries fruit on last years canes so you have removed your chances of
fruit this year.
Let them grow canes this year for fruiting next year, only prune out any
small and damaged canes this winter leaving the rest to fruit.
Next year, after they have finished fruiting prune out all the canes that
have fruited at just above ground level leaving the new young ones to grow
up for the following year's crop. And that is your pruning regime for ever
more...
With regard to the two plants that didn't do much last year, they should not
have been allowed to flower/crop in their first year but grow strong and
provide the canes for fruiting this year. Sounds as if you inadvertently
overstressed and killed them.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden