Old 23-05-2010, 01:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Help - leafe miners

On 5/22/10 12:42 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
Damn it but my young Hmong red cucumbers have leaf miner damage already and
they have only begun to take off. What is the quickest and best way to
knock this down? Screw organic, at this rate my plants will all be
infected. All I have for now is the organic pesticide/fungicide/ herbicide
combos using lecithin and some natural soap. I'll hose it with malathion if
I have to.

Although not approved for use on edible crops, I would use Imidacloprid,
available as Bayer's Advanced Tree and Shrub Insect Control. You mix it
with water and use it as a soil drench. Control might take as long as 3
weeks.

Unlike many other systemics, tests with Imidacloprid show little or no
toxicity for mammals and birds.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean