Old 22-05-2010, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone someone is offline

Default More conflicting advice

"PtePike" wrote in message
Paul Simonite wrote in
:

Let the kiddies play with the leaves first (After explaining that the
are not edible). Use them as Rhubarb hats for a while and then into the
compost heap with them - the leaves, not the kiddies g

Always compost my rhubarb leaves. As someone said, they keep the
moisture in during dry spells.

A neighbour of mine composts EVERYTHING from the house and garden,
including disposable nappies, un-eaten food from the table, bird corpes
which his cat killed, cardboard, paper, as well as the rhubarb leaves.

He buries it in rotation and you should see his broad beans and potatoes.

I know someone is going to say thats the best way to get a rat infestation
but I havnt seen any and neither has my neighbour.

Anybody who lives in the country has rats, especially if it's a small town
with elderly underground drains. We have a giant compost heap onto which we
throw everything, and yes, we all have rats hereabouts, but our cat
dispatches the ones in our garden quickly, sometimes two juveniles a day for
a week then they're gone.

The heap has been going for 30 years, we mine it from the bottom and it
produces marvellous compost.

On the allotment, all the rhubarb leaves go in to that pile along with other
vegetation. It all breaks down quite quickly and makes good compost too.

someone