Old 20-04-2003, 06:09 AM
Ryan Wilson

Default Algea Problems

First of all ill start with the tank specs.

27G Long
100W of NO lighting
PH between 7.2-6.9
DIY CO2 injected into my filter
GH 14
KH 7
PMDD dosed daily
NO3 dosed every 3 days because it is depleted quickly in about 2 days
about 5ppm dosed
PO4 dosed when I remember which usually ends up being once a week dose
about 1 little bead of triple super phosphate mixed with water...not
quite sure how much it adds...probally should but I cant imagine it very
much
KCL dosed when I remember which usually is about twice a week at about
2-3ppm
Very heavy planted it my opinion but see alt.binaries.aquaria for the
pic if you want to see.
Mostly with water wisteria and jungle val.
I started out stupid and didnt have the money to fill it with plants so
i planted the cuttings when they grew..and from this i developed an
algae problem..BBA and such.
The plant has been planted heavy for at least 2 months but I cant seem
to keep the algae at bay..I trim all the algae off the leaves at least
twice a week. I want to get some slower growing plants but im afriad
they will be coated in algae in no time if i trim back and plant them..
Should i be leting the NO3 drop to zero or should i keep it at a stable
5ppm or so...should i dose more PO4? or is that my problem?..i dont
think it is excess PO4 that is my problem..maybe not enough?
Or maybe im just impatient and i should give it more time?

Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks
Ryan Wilson