Old 23-05-2010, 09:41 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

My question is, what is the next stage? More specifically:-

Do I leave them in the pot till the leaves get bigger?
Do I remove the plastic bag they've been covered in these last few
weeks?
Do I give them some direct sunlight/heat?
Should I put them in separate pots and with which compost? Or can
they go straight into the ground now?
..
Leave them in the pot until you can see roots coming out of the hole in the bottom. This may take a year. Until that time, leave the plastic bag over the top to keep a moist atmosphere, and keep the soil moist. Keep them out of direct sunlight. The whole aim is to prevent the cutting losing moisture (because until it's got a good root system, it has no way of replacing lost water).

Once you can see roots coming out of the bottom of the pot, start by opening the bag at the top, and get the plant used to a slightly drier atmosphere, than you can remove it altogether. After that, you can tip out the cuttings, gently separate them, and pot them up separately. I would keep them in pots for a while so you can look after them, then plant them out once you feel they're big enough to cope by themselves.