Old 24-05-2010, 04:28 AM posted to rec.gardens
Gloria Gloria is offline

Default More problems - slugs

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
I visited the plants tonight and one of my cucumber pots was crawling with
slugs. I removed about a dozen by hand. How effective are the natural
remedies. I searched the Net and see that a bowl of cheap beer attracts
the slugs who apparently are alcoholics. Once sated with the beer they
forget to exit the bowl and die. Happily. Would a bowl of chips increase
the effectiveness?

Anyone have any favorite methods? I'd even consider a chemical solution
if it were not especially toxic.

Can I expect slugs to be less of an issue when the summer heat arrives?
Do they burrow into the soil in the pots?

The beer works great. The dish needs to be shallow enough for them to get
into. They are attracted to the beer, get into the dish and then cannot get
out and drown. You'll be amazed at how many you'll find. Each day, there
will be fewer and fewer. When I had this problem, I used several dishes. It
only took about 3-4 days until they were all gone. HTH

Gloria