Old 24-05-2010, 06:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
Tony Tony is offline

Default Vegetables In Compost Bin - Edible??

I asked a guy in the Garden Center at "Home Depot", if the I can eat the
potatoes growing out of the compost bin, and his response to me was "I
wouldn't eat ANYTHING growing from a compost bin".

I happen to agree with most of the other posters. As long as there is
no refuse in your compost bin that was treated with strong chemical
pesticide or herbicide, the potatoes should be fine to eat, either now
(they have a distinctive, wonderful flavor at 1"- 1 1/2" size), or when
they are more fully grown. But I don't blame the guy at Home Depot one
bit. He had to cover his rear end. I know better, but in his position,
I would have said the same thing.

Tony