Old 20-04-2003, 06:09 AM
Victor M. Martinez

Default Question about equivalent wattage

Hi. I have a question. They sell these fluorescent bulbs here in the US to
replace regular incandescent bulbs. They use the same hardware, so you can
use them in your regular lamps, etc. They say these bulbs' lower wattage
is equivalent to higher wattage incandescents:
http://www.energystar.gov/products/cfls/
So, if I were to use these for adding light to my aquarium, which wattage
do I count? The 20 watts the bulb actually uses or the 60 watts it is
equivalent to?
Hope this is not a dumb question...

Cheers.

Victor M. Martinez | The University of Texas at Austin
| Department of Chemical Engineering
http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv | Austin, TX 78712
If we knew what we were doing it would not be called research, would it?