Old 24-05-2010, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chelsea Chop advice please

In message , Meehan Mydog
writes
I saw Toby Buckland mention the 'Chelsea Chop' on GW last Friday; I've
not heard of it before.

I think he said to cut back perennials to about half their height.

I have some foxgloves that look about the right height, but are these
perennials please? And, if they are, would they still be candidates for
the 'chop' if they already have flowers forming at the tops of the stems?

Foxgloves are short-lived perennials usually grown as biennials. (Or
alternatively biennials perennating by means of offsets.) They produce
one large spike in their 2nd season, and tend to produce smaller spikes
in subsequent years. You might gets some small spikes if you chopped
them now, but you'd lose the main body of the flowers. In other words,
they are not a good candidate for the Chelsea chop.

I'm a bit reluctant to chop off the forming flowers if none are going
to replace them.

Thanks in advance,
Meehan Mydog
Cheshire, UK