Old 25-05-2010, 03:15 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Our Muslim Heritage

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Lelandite" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article
,
Billy wrote:

Mrs. Avigdor Lieberman I presume,
http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition...d-for-suggesti
ng-drowning-palestinian-prisoners-1.93554
and you would be more Jewish than Richard Goldstone?
http://www.goldstone-report.org/

A journalist assigned to the Jerusalem bureau takes an
apartment
overlooking the historic Wailing Wall. Everyday when she
looks out, she
sees an old bearded Jewish man praying vigorously.
Certain he would be
a good interview subject, the journalist goes down to the
Wall and
introduces herself to the old man. She asks, "You come
every day to the
Wall, sir, how long have you been doing that and what are
you praying
for?"

The old man replies, "I have come here to pray every day
for 25 years.
In the morning I pray for world peace and for the
brotherhood of man. I
go home, have a cup of tea, and I come back and pray for
the eradication
of illness and disease from the earth. And very, very
important, I pray
for peace and understanding between the Israelis and
Palestinians."

The journalist is very impressed. "How does it make you
feel to come
here every day for 25 years and pray for these wonderful
things?" she
asks.

The old man replies calmly, "Like I'm talking to a wall."
--
- Billy

He should try talking directly to God and see if that
makes a difference.

But my oh my has the "garden" grown.

Donna
in WA

On holiday in Europe, Bert noticed a marble column in a church in Rome
with a golden telephone on it. As a young priest passed by, Bert asked
who the telephone was for. The priest told him it was a direct line to
Heaven, and if he'd like to call, it would be one thousand dollars.
Bert was amazed, but declined the offer. Throughout Europe Bert kept
seeing the same golden telephone on a marble column. At each, he asked
about it and the answer was always the same: a direct line to Heaven and
he could call for a thousand dollars.

Bert finished his European tour in Ireland. He decided to attend Mass at
a local village church. When he walked in the door he noticed the golden
telephone, but underneath it there was a sign stating: DIRECT LINE TO
HEAVEN, 25 cents.

"Father," he said I have been all over Europe and in all the cathedrals
I visited, I've seen telephones exactly like this one but The price is
always $1000.00. Why is it that this one is only 25 cents?" The priest
smiled and said, "Son, you're in Ireland now. It's a local call." ;O)
-----

The potatoes, as you might expect, seem to be right at home in the
overcast and the rain, and we've the best crop of peas that we've ever
had. The tomatoes, squash, and peppers are doing very well, almost eerie
how they keep growing, and setting flowers in the face of the cool
weather. The cucumbers and the melons are an intractable lot, and just
sit there and stare at me, like, whaddaya expect from us? Next time I'll
look for rain loving, German cucumbers, instead of heat loving Armenian
and Persian. The Black Cohosh is almost in full bloom, and the red
Valarian is satisfying the bees and the butterflies. There are 31 pots
of basil in the garden. If we ever get any heat, it's going to be "pesto
summer".

The cilantro, and chervil has just come up. I'm about to germinate some
"Golden Bantam" corn. This will be from seed that has grown here for the
last four years. One of these years, I hope to see it do really well.
Got some "White Greasy Pole Beans" to go with 'em.

Don't plant the greasy beans in with the bantam corn. They will over run and
pull it down. They need to be planted with something strong like Hickory
King.

Strawberries are
swelling, and I'm tryin' to get some mulch under them. The Prunella
vulgaris that I count on to keep my blood pressure down, has joined
them. It's a real rascal of a plant, and keeps popping up in unexpected
places, which is fine by me.

Finally having the last laugh on Mr. Raccoon. Most of our mulched beds
have wire mesh over them, making them less easy for him to dig up. I'm
sure he'll get some revenge, but it won't be all his own way this year.
Squirrels is another matter. They seem to be bonkers for the African
marigolds that I put out.

Watched "Don Camillo" last night. It stars French comedian Fernandel as
Don Camillo, a Catholic priest who is at odds with his childhood friend
and his rural village's newly elected Communist mayor, Peppone (Gino
Cervi). A simple, lovable movie from another time, and another place.
--
- Billy