Old 25-05-2010, 12:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Hedge instead of fence

chelly100 said:

However, I had a guy round tonight to quote me to erect a 6' fence down
the right hand side of the garden. Upon inspection he has told me that
he thinks it will be very difficult to put in the posts due to the roots
from the trees and that we should try to remove the roots... which we
wanted to avoid doing, argghhhh!

So I'm wondering, would it be best to have some kind of hedge instead of
a wooden fence (we have a hedge on the left)? And this leads me to some
more questions:

My thoughts:

Trying to plant a hedge through all the roots would be as much or more of
a hassle than trying to set a few fence posts.

My neighbor's hedge (which is along my driveway) ends up being trimmed
by me or my daughter almost as much as by the neighbor. And my
daughter is the only one who has ever made an effort to pull out the
weed trees and shrubs that keep infiltrating it -- she hates the mess more
than she hates yard work.

AS for my own hedge (came with the house) if it didn't shade / hide the air
conditioning unit, it would be so gone...

(Feeling grumpy, as it is near record heat, and humid, with lots of work to
do outdoors, and the first mosquitos are out and relentless. Two showers
yesterday, one before dinner and one before bed.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored