Old 25-05-2010, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Mushroom soil problems?

On 5/25/10 9:08 AM, Tony wrote:
1) I got a load of what was supposed to be composted mushroom soil.
It's light and airy, but deeper in the pile it smells real bad.
(anaerobic composting?)

2) I planted a few flowers using most all the mushroom soil to replace
the very heavy clay I dug out.

3) After a couple months, most of these plants are dead or dieing.

So..........

Was I wrong to use almost 100% mushroom soil and the nitrogen is burning
the roots?

Is the soil not true mushroom soil and isn't finished decomposing?
Again too much nitrogen?

Note: I have not had a single stray mushroom grow out of the pile of
soil (about 5' round and 3' tall).

Other?

Always till compost or other amendments into the native soil. Never
merely replace native soil with the compost.

Mere replacement leaves an interface between the compost and the soil
beneath it. That interface often becomes a barrier that roots will not
cross. Often, water will not cross it either, resulting in a bog in the
compost.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean