Old 25-05-2010, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default capturing roof rainwater to water plants

In article ,
Ohioguy wrote:

I pay water and sewer fees on every single gallon of water I use for
my plants. I recently planted a hedge of blueberry plants, and noticed
that the house has 2 downspouts on that end, roughly 25 feet apart.

I've never actually had rain barrels, though I did experiment with 5
gallon buckets a few years back. (a neighbor complained that he felt I
was the source of mosquitoes in the area, and he may have been right)
I'm not sure that I would have enough room to use an actual rain barrel,
since the plants are only a bit over 2' from the foundation, and there
is a chain link fence close to one end of the hedge.

I'd love to build an underground cistern that would hold 2,000
gallons of rainwater, but I think that is probably out of the question
as well, due solely to financial concerns.

Can anyone suggest a solution that might let me capture the rainwater
and use it for irrigation? Keep in mind that the row of plants is about
25' long, the plants are between 2' and 2.5' from the foundation, and
there is a downspout at both ends of the hedge row. I was kind of
hoping I'd find solutions for this at some of the big stores near here,
in the garden sections, but so far I haven't.

Years ago, I seem to remember seeing some sort of plastic/rubber
device you could fasten to your downspout. It would inflate with water
when it rained, and then slowly release the water over a couple of days.
You could simply unroll it, like a huge hose, and put it near the base
of the plants you wanted watered. As long as the land was relatively
flat, it would work fine. I never bought one, but I think something
like that might work well. Just can't seem to think of what it was
called, and there is no guarantee they still make anything like that, I
guess.

Thanks!

You could buy an inflatable swimming pool, if you get rain for a few
days, each month during the summer. The problem with that would be
mosquitos.
--
- Billy