Old 25-05-2010, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default Can't sort the garden thanks to next doors dog!

On 2010-05-25 12:21:59 +0100, hugh ] said:

In message , mogga
writes
My friend's little girl has a scar on her face from being the second
person a dog bit. She only went near it to pat it and the owner was
only a foot or so away.

As a dog owner myself (very gentle dog I might add) the one thing I
detest is parents who allow their little darlings to come running up to
my dog to pat it.

I do agree with this. Not all dogs *are* gentle and some are very
nervous. Parents should always ask if their children can approach an
unknown dog. One of ours was chased down a path by a child waving a stick
while mum looked on. Conssequently, he was very wary of children though
never aggressive towards them, just frightened of them. If the place was
busy with a lot of children running around it, I would put him into the
house as a safe refuge!

Now to the OP's problem.

You want to avoid direct confrontation with your neighbour but at the
same time you want the problem solved.

You say the property belongs to the Council but the fence is yours and is
in poor state of repair (Partly due to the dog)

My suggestion-

Go to the Council. Explain the problem (don't overstate your case) and
inform them of your intention to replace the fence, but you want them to
take action to ensure it isn't going to be damaged by their tenant. If it
is you will make a claim against the Council.
Maybe they will take action. The neighbours may well be in breach of
their tenancy agreement just by having a dog at all.

Can't guarantee it will work of course.

I wouldn't have an excitable dog that has already bitten someone anywhere
near a garden that has children in it. I agree that a word with the
Council is the way to go if the dog's keepers won't see sense in getting
it re-homed.

That is a sure fire way to make an enemy of your neighbour.
Tina