Old 20-04-2003, 06:09 AM
Ben Brantley

Default Your thoughts on this scenario?

Thanks for your time, Dave.

Charcoal filters used in front of RO membranes in most RO systems take out Chlorine. But neither removes
chloramines, thus the need for Amquel/Prime. Regarding dose, read the bottle.

SpectraPure's 5-stage RO/DI units include an optional
chloramine-removal stage... this, of course, is what I have. Do I
still need Amquel?

I choose to use RO water and reconstitute it because I choose to breed sof****er fish in my plant tank.
This makes my life more complicated than those who use nice hard tap water in their plant tanks, since I
must replace nutrients present in the tap water.

What if I'm just concerned about excess phosphates and extremely hard
water? I have both of those here and neither seem like they'd be very
helpful in creating a healthy environment for discus and other
soft-water fish.

Thanks again,

Ben