Old 26-05-2010, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Thornless roses

On Tue, 25 May 2010 18:09:31 +0100, "Sue"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote:
Does anyone know of a thornless rose, other than Zephirine Druouhin?
I cut back my ZD hard when I had my fence replaced recently and it
doesn't seem to be showing any new growth.Are there others which are
thornless? I'd like to put another rose further along the fence.
I don't grow anything with thorns, so no other roses, and now with
failing sight it's even more important to me to have one without
thorns but with scent.
Any ideas?

I've got a 'Kathleen Harrop' which is a paler pink sport of ZD. I grow
it over an arch and, given my unfavourable sandy soil, it does well.
It's also thornless and has a good scent and repeat flowers. The only
drawback is that it does suffer a bit with the dreaded black-spot most
years unless sprayed.

Hi Sue, thanks.
I think Kathleen Harrop is one a friend mentioned to me a while ago.
Paler pink with good scent sounds jjust what I'm after. ZD is a bit
garish.

Pam in Bristol