Old 26-05-2010, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Hedge instead of fence

chelly100 wrote:
Hi,

I am currently doing up my garden and it's a bit of a project. I
have a pretty pathetic excuse for a fence separating my garden from my
neighbours on the right and altho I get on with them , I would like
something a bit more...

My husband, last year, cut down 9 Leylandi trees on the right and we
currently have just the stumps left. A quote to remove the stumps and
roots has come in pretty pricey, so we decided to just cut them as low
as poss and maybe utilise a couple by nailing some rustic wood between
two to make a bench for the children.

However, I had a guy round tonight to quote me to erect a 6' fence
down the right hand side of the garden. Upon inspection he has told
me that he thinks it will be very difficult to put in the posts due
to the roots from the trees and that we should try to remove the
roots... which we wanted to avoid doing, argghhhh!

So I'm wondering, would it be best to have some kind of hedge instead
of a wooden fence (we have a hedge on the left)? And this leads me
to some more questions:

Which type of hedge is best for boundaries?
How long would it take to establish and grow?
How easy is it to plant/grow?
Should I get permission from my neighbours as they will have to trim
the thing back on their side?

Sorry for the massive essay, any replies will be greatly appreciated,
I'm new to all of this (gardening, not forum posts!)

What you use for a hedge will probably depend on where you live.

When I planted a hedge on the yard line, I made the assumption that I would trim
the neighbors side also. It was my choice to plant it. I do ask before I enter
their yard to trim it.