Old 26-05-2010, 08:02 PM posted to misc.rural,rec.gardens
MNRebecca MNRebecca is offline

Default ID this type of farm BRIDGE, please

On May 26, 12:31*pm, Ann wrote:

Courtesy of Google, it looks like what's referred to as a pony truss
bridge. In the early 1900s, they were the cheapest bridge design for
short spans and a number of companies made them. By the time the
depression and WWII were over, highway departments had moved on to newer
designs (than steel truss). *Example of one still in use:

http://bridgehunter.com/in/gibson/2600283/

Consider the possibility that "your" bridge was repurposed from its
original use/location. *As those bridges were phased out, some were
probably free for the taking. *

I am LOVING the idea that the reason my tough ol' great great grandma
had $5,000 to give each grandchild in the 1920s (money that
disappeared in 1929, of course) was because she looked out over the
tributary ditch one day and said, "You know, if I took one of those
bridges they're giving away and put it across the ditch, I could rig
up a pumping system to better irrigate my fields!" But would there
have been ditches WITHOUT such bridges in the first place? How did
you get the water out of the ditch and onto the field without the
bridge/pump system?