Old 26-05-2010, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bert Hyman Bert Hyman is offline

Default How to fix contaminated soil?

In m
wrote:

Don't be too quick to conclude your veggies to be diseased. You made
no mention of what other veggies might be growing in that plot and how
they are doing. If you've raised the same few kinds of plants in the
same small area for a few years, your plants may be suffering a
nutrient deficiency. ...

You raise an important point. My wife reports that she uses an 11-15-11
granular fertilizer. I can't say exactly how much, or exactly how it's
used, since my involvement in the project is mainly digging and hauling,
but I trust that she's using it as directed.

If you have the wherewithal, by all means, start some new
container plants in new soil but you might be doing yourself a favor
to take an evening and really study any of the links below that
interest you.

Thanks for the links.

Much of the information is redundant and repetitive but studying the
images may help you identify an easily-cured deficiency that responds
positively to the "three-day" test (in general, that's how long you
should wait for a visible response to fast-release corrections).

The U of Mn's extension service has a soil testing service, and our
county has an open plant diagnostic clinic every week that we can use if
we can't arrive at a conclusion ourselves.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN