Old 26-05-2010, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Serena Blanchflower Serena Blanchflower is offline

Default Thornless roses

* Pam Moore wrote, On 26/05/2010 14:23:
On Tue, 25 May 2010 12:23:38 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
wrote:

* Pam Moore wrote, On 25/05/2010 08:06:
Does anyone know of a thornless rose, other than Zephirine Druouhin?
I cut back my ZD hard when I had my fence replaced recently and it
doesn't seem to be showing any new growth.Are there others which are
thornless? I'd like to put another rose further along the fence.
I don't grow anything with thorns, so no other roses, and now with
failing sight it's even more important to me to have one without
thorns but with scent.
Any ideas?

I've just been out and frisked my Rosa Goldfinch and can't see any
thorns on it! I see that the book describes it as "almost thornless"
though, so I can't be certain that you won't find any! Mine is next
to a path though and I've never been scratched by it.

Another scented option would be honeysuckle, which can be lovely up
against a fence.

Thanks Serena
I guess Goldfinch is yellow is it? If so it's out, see my reply to
Sacha. I do have a honeysuckle. It has to be a rose.
Thanks for replying.

Hi Pam,

Sorry, yes it is yellow.

--
Cheers, Serena

There is nothing new under the sun but there are lots of old things we
don't know. (Ambrose Bierce)