Old 27-05-2010, 03:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default How to fix contaminated soil?

Billy wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

How about fumigating with trichloronitromethane? It's pretty nasty,
but it breaks down and/or dissipates rapidly. It also goes by the
name chloropicrin.

Bob

Just no best place to start in describing this as a horrible idea.
Chloropicrin is related to the WWI gas, phosgene.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloropicrin
It works on people by destroying the alveoli in the lungs.

I mentioned it because I knew it would get a reaction. ;-) But it's
actually one of the safer soil fumigants, used to kill fungi and
nematodes. It's a restricted use pesticide with a warning level of
"DANGER", so it would have to be applied by a professional (so there
wouldn't be an exposure risk to the OP) And it breaks down rapidly,
doesn't leave a toxic residue in the soil and if used properly it
won't contaminate the ground water or runoff.

Crop rotation is probably a better solution, but not as dramatic.

Bob