Old 27-05-2010, 11:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Mushroom soil problems?

On Tue, 25 May 2010 12:08:34 -0400, Tony
wrote:

1) I got a load of what was supposed to be composted mushroom soil.
It's light and airy, but deeper in the pile it smells real bad.
(anaerobic composting?)

2) I planted a few flowers using most all the mushroom soil to replace
the very heavy clay I dug out.

3) After a couple months, most of these plants are dead or dieing.

So..........

Was I wrong to use almost 100% mushroom soil and the nitrogen is burning
the roots?

Is the soil not true mushroom soil and isn't finished decomposing?
Again too much nitrogen?

Note: I have not had a single stray mushroom grow out of the pile of
soil (about 5' round and 3' tall).

Other?

Mushroom compost can be 100% horse manure. That is too strong for
most plants to survive. The area you used the mushroom compost
should be ready for 2011 spring planting. Or, remove the "soil," set
it aside for next year, and replace the area with topsoil.