Old 27-05-2010, 03:57 PM posted to misc.rural,rec.gardens
Tony Tony is offline

Default ID this type of farm BRIDGE, please

Ann wrote:
On Wed, 26 May 2010 22:06:33 -0400, Tony wrote:

Ann wrote:
On Wed, 26 May 2010 07:02:43 -0700, MNRebecca wrote:

Thanks for all the input, everybody. I've sent an inquiry to the
local historical society. I'd love to know when this was built. WPA
project?
Did they have this technology when my family owned the farm (1903ish
1925ish)? I'll be in the area again for Memorial Day Weekend to
decorate the graves of family members and will try to take more
pictures then. Didn't get a single one straight across the traveling
path of the bridge!

R.
Courtesy of Google, it looks like what's referred to as a pony truss
bridge. In the early 1900s, they were the cheapest bridge design for
short spans and a number of companies made them. By the time the
depression and WWII were over, highway departments had moved on to
newer designs (than steel truss). Example of one still in use:

http://bridgehunter.com/in/gibson/2600283/

Here is a very large one I travel on a couple days a week. All 20 pics
are this same bridge. It's a very unique design.

http://bridgehunter.com/tn/jefferson/bh37371/

I don't know why part of it is concrete? The highest steel span is also
wider, it looks as if it were made for large sail boats but I don't
think the lake is deep enough for a boat that large. Being so old and
carrying a lot of traffic, it under goes an inspection every year and it
is closed for the day of the inspection.

It must be a part of the great TVA (Tennessee valley authority) project
because they built the dam that made this bridge necessary. In the
winter when there isn't a lot of rain they use all the water for
hydro-electric and the lake becomes a river again. Some people bought
Lake Front houses during the summer, then in the winter it's dirt and
mud for hundreds of yards until they can reach the river. Some bitch,
some buy 4 wheelers to take advantage of the wintertime fun.

Nifty bridge, actually several bridges strung together. Is it possible
they put it so high to allow for raising the level of the lake? The COE
constructed two flood control dams (3 impounds) in my county in PA. They
later raised one dam/impound to store additional water for downstream
nuclear plants cooling.

Here is "my" niftiest bridge:

http://explorepahistory.com/displayimage.php?imgId=1608

When the Rockville bridge was built across the Susquehanna River (PA) in
1900-1902, it was described as the longest stone arch bridge (3,280') in
the world. (Not entirely true because it was concrete filled.)

That is a nifty bridge indeed! I've never heard of stone bridge being
filled with concrete, but then again, I don't know much of anything on
that subject. I'm from PA so I wanted to see were it was and found
these pics:

http://www.steamphotos.com/Railroad-...31852985_Gtcrs

I'll bet that's a heck of a photo op when an old steam loco takes a
pleasure ride. I also read it was built in only 2 years! It would
probably take 6 years to build the same exact bridge today. :-(