Old 20-04-2003, 06:09 AM
Ross Vandegrift

Default frequency of water changes

In article , Dave wrote:
Something I've observed recently, and am looking for comments ....

I do water changes on all of my three (about to be four ;-) tanks once a
week. In general the fish always seem to be a bit perkier after doing the
water change, with the exception of my planted tank, where their behavior
seems to indicate that they prefer a longer time between water changes (a
few times, I've missed the weekly schedule). Possibly just due to the
species of fish, or something about the fact that it's a planted tank?

Could it just be those fish get scared easier? Water changes are
probably traumatic for those little buggers - I know my fish seem to
freak out when I vacuuming out the tank gunk. They're swimming all
over, running from my hand (except my betta who comes to check out what
I'm doing ::-). But once it's all done and the water settles down,
they're all happy again.

And I was wondering how often people in this newsgroup do water changes to
their planted tanks?

I alternate between my tanks, doing one per weekend. Since I have two
tanks, every other week each tank gets a five gallon change. That's 25%
for the 20 gallon, and 17% for my 30.

--
Ross Vandegrift

A Pope has a Water Cannon. It is a Water Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it. It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses it. It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it. It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He has it pierced. It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive. He shoots them.