Old 29-05-2010, 07:02 AM posted to sci.bio.misc,sci.bio.botany
Archimedes Plutonium[_2_] Archimedes Plutonium[_2_] is offline

Default horses should not be kept alone and in isolation #16 stories about mycats and horses

Well I was sick and tired of seeing my pinto pony moping about, never
prancing or
running like he did in previous years. And the alpacas in the fence of
neighboring field
were just not enough company. The pony would spend alot of time in
front of a
shed window looking at himself in the reflection. So I got tired of
this gloomy
pony and went out and bought two miniature horses for companionship.
Today
they were delivered, and my pony become young again. He was darting
and
prancing all over the pasture fence to meet the newcomers. I am going
to wait
a couple of days before I let them join into one herd, in that the
pony is often
too aggressive. He is a gelding but wants to be in charge of everyone.

I think it is cruel to leave a horse alone and isolated from other
horses. Like
putting a person in prison and all outside contact.

But as usual in life and animals, when we think we solved a problem, a
newer
problem arises. Will the pinto behave around the smaller horses? If he
kicks those
smaller horses, he could kill them.

Some may wonder why I even bother with horses, for I do not ride them.
I bother with
them because I want to prove a point that Landscaping with having
horses on
the property enriches the soil and cuts down on mowing time. Horses
eat mostly
the grass and leave the trees and bushes alone. So I have myself three
ponies that
are enriching the soil and saving me on grass cutting.

In fact, of all the lawns in South Dakota, this spring, mine was
probably near the
top of the list of
greenest-springtime-lawn in South Dakota because of the horses.

Archimedes Plutonium
http://www.iw.net/~a_plutonium/