Old 29-05-2010, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Paul M. Cook Paul M. Cook is offline

Default Is Sevin A Good General Purpose Insecticide?

"EVP MAN" wrote in message

I've noticed tiny pin holes in the leaves of my bell peppers, egg
plants, ground cherries and cantaloupe. My neighbor told me that he
uses a product called Sevin that comes in a spray bottle ready to use.
Said he's been using it for years and it works quite well for him. I
guess my question is: would this be a good general purpose insecticide
for use in my vegetable garden?

I just posted about Spinosad. It's a bacterium that works by killing the
insects in the pupal stage when they feed on the plants. It is supposed be
be very effective. I'll know soon if it fixes my leaf miner problem. It is
toxic to bees but only when wet. Once dry it is supposed to be mostly
harlmess to them. I sprayed at dusk after any bees had left so by morning
the stuff was dry. It spares beneficial insects that do not feed on the
plants such as spiders and praying mantii.