Old 29-05-2010, 10:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Is Sevin A Good General Purpose Insecticide?

In article ,
Doug Houseman wrote:

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

EVP MAN wrote:
I've noticed tiny pin holes in the leaves of my bell peppers, egg
plants, ground cherries and cantaloupe. My neighbor told me that he
uses a product called Sevin that comes in a spray bottle ready to use.
Said he's been using it for years and it works quite well for him. I
guess my question is: would this be a good general purpose insecticide
for use in my vegetable garden?

Rich from PA

Sevin is good, but don't use it when there are any bees around --
and I mean ANY bees. (Sevin gets on a few worker bees and it will
kill the whole hive)

Bob

I like ladybugs better, you can put a floating row cover over the plants
and add a pint of lady bugs - no more insects. After 3 or 4 days you can
pull the cover and the lady bugs will spread out looking for more pests.
Put a ladybug house out in the early fall and they will overwinter in it.

Doug

An excellent solution :O)
--
- Billy