Old 30-05-2010, 01:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Martin Riddle Martin Riddle is offline

Default cucumber flowers

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Martin Riddle" wrote:

I have not ever planted cucumbers before so I'm not sure what to do.
I have a small cucumber plant ( covered by a soda bottle ) and it has
flower, it only has 4 leaves. Do I need to pinch off the early
buds?
Or let em run their course.

Zone 6

Thanks

First hot day and your covered cucumber is going to be toast, unless
it's inside, which is unlikely since you have flowers, unless you got
this from a nursery and they have had it under lights, unless . . .

Right, the question. You don't have to pinch the flower off, and I
probably wouldn't, but you may get a little more production out of it,
if you do, maybe.

I just get the feeling that there are some other questions that you
should be asking.

If you leave the flower on, you'll taste a fresh cucumber earlier. I
just hate delayed gratification.
--
- Billy

Thanks, I plan on removing the bottles this weekend. There's lots of
condensation in them, they only get maybe 4 hours of sun a day.
It's been mild and wanted to try the bottles to keep the squirrels out.
The kids keep digging in the mulch.
I'll switch to chicken wire.

But I think the cumbers liked the bottle, as well as the cantelope.
They both seem to be developing nicely in the warmer temps.

Oh, and these are from seeds.

Cheers