Old 30-05-2010, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gary Woods Gary Woods is offline

Default Marco garlic

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Some Garlic, the hardneck types, do grow flower heads and are supposed too
but I can't remember if Marco is one of those.

You should cut off those "flower" heads; they will likely grow a cluster of
little bulbils if you leave them, at the expense of the main bulb.
They're good stir-fried or ground for pesto if cut young.
Hardneck garlic does this, but all varieties can put up these scapes under
some conditions, typically stress.
Mine (Northeast U.S.) haven't started to put up scapes yet; I grow mostly
hardneck types.