Old 20-04-2003, 06:10 AM
GregSki

Default Moving plants

Hi all.

I am moving to a new address and I am wondering what would be the most
cost effective way to go about it.

I have 190L tank full of plants and no fish (used to have heaps of
fish though 2 months ago). It has a bit of an algae problem ie. hair
algae (I suspect the iron levels are too high 0.25pmm+). The tank has
been going for about 18 months. It has substrate heating and Dupla
substrate fertiliser. I am wondering whether to wash the gravel clean
and buy new bag of fertiliser (Dupla costs a fair bit) OR to reuse the
substrate I have but top it up with 1-2cm of finer gravel so that the
nutrients don't leak into the water column? Which would be the better
option?

Also should I keep the plants with hair algae on them or throw them
out and buy new ones which will hopefully be hair algae free.

Once I set up the tank I am planning to get 4-6 SAEs to help to keep
the algae at bay.

Any advice appreciated.