Old 31-05-2010, 09:44 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo[_3_] View Post
Hi
I have just set aside an area in my garden for planting fruits.

I am think blackberry/gooseberry/strawberry - the area is reasonably large.

Where is the best place to buy the plants and in what form?

Should I buy seeds and try t grow them that way or buy some 'already made'
that I plant into the ground.
There has been an enormous amount of selection in fruits developing varieties with particularly good crop rates, size or flavour. Growing from seed will give a new 'variety' with unknown qualities. And it will be several years before you get a plant large enough to fruit.

Spend some time exploring different varieties - it is sometimes nice to get a variety that isn't available in the supermarkets - partly because it is interesting to have something slightly different, but also because the most commercially successfully varieties are those which have a large crop ready to be picked at the same time - they're not necessarily bred for the best flavour.

Look also at some of the blackberry hybrids - loganberries, boysenberries and so on. They crop very heavily and ripen earlier than blackberries.