Old 31-05-2010, 12:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default How do I get two main stems per tomato plant?

EVP MAN said:

My tomatoes this season will be tied to stakes and I'd like to prune
them to produce two main stems. I'm not sure if I allow the sucker to
grow above the first flower cluster OR is it the sucker below the
cluster? I tried to research this but get different answers.

I always keep the sucker that is below the first flower cluster.

The idea of two stems is (in part) to double the leaf cover and lower
the chance of sunburning the fruit, so keeping the lower one makes
the most sense to me.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored