Old 31-05-2010, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default While rooting through the shed:-

wrote in message
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
"RG" wrote in message
news

A very strong solution will certainly etch glass.

Do you have a reliable reference for this, please? Google most certainly
comes up with quite a few hits for "phosphoric acid" and "etch glass", but
have been through the first 40 and found nothing which substantiates that
statement unequivocally. I have always understood that the only chemicals
which attack glass are (1) hydrofluoric acid (2) strong alkalis.

That is definitely wrong. Glass is etched naturally in the soil, for
a start.

I take your point - it's been noted with fulvic and humic acids. But I
should have made it clear that I was considering visible chemical attack on
a much shorter timescale.

--

Jeff