Old 01-06-2010, 03:00 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Kate Kate is offline

Default Johnson Grass

On 5/31/2010 4:24 PM, Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Kate said:

[...]

One of the two professionals I called to look at my problem has a degree
in this type of stuff. He actually owns a weed and feed type store, and
we are so fortunate to have him in our small town.

I don't have a lot of patience, but painting the tips of these weeds is
no big deal, as I don't have that many. My neighbor is doing the same
thing, (thank Goodness or this problem may never go away)and has a good
handle on it.

The stems of Johnson Grass are solid with prominent swollen nodes. The
mid vein is white. I have friends who are farmers and they have tons of
this on some of their land. I imagine the wind and birds create this
nasty problem.

You imagine right, and it sounds like a definate positive ID. Sorry to be so
persistent in asking about that, but so many come here using common names, and
they're usually wrong. I just wanted to be sure. Thanks for putting up with
that. =)

Despite the bald spots I get toward the end of summer, from applying
Roundup (although not as noticeable now as I feel I am getting rid of
the weeds), I still get plenty of compliments on my lawn.
I use a pre-emergent in early March, and the lawn greens up beautifully.
Weeds are not a problem except for the Johnson Grass.

Great news on the pre-emergent. That, coupled with not letting the plants set
seed in the first place, eliminates half the problem. Each plant can produce up
to 5000 seeds.

I'm still concerned about drainage, simply because that's where it likes to
grow. But, you know your property better than anyone, so if you don't think
there's a water problem, there probably isn't. =)

I was just hoping a farmer, or somebody, would know of a secret fix.

Sorry, there's no "secret fix" that I've ever heard of. The only chemicals I
know of are pretty hard-core, and not readily available to the home user. You
may want to talk to the gentleman that owns that store, and see if he knows
anyone that can apply one (or more) of the following:

fluazifop (Fusilade II)
sethoxydim (Vantage)
clethodim (Envoy)
imazapic (Plateau)

Which you choose will depend on they type of turfgrass you have, as well as
local regulations.

They're the only chemicals I know of, other than glyphosate, but you well know
that using that requires reestablishment of the turfgrass after the app.

Best of luck to you,

I live in the desert, and drainage is not a problem. I may tend to over
water when it is in the 90 - 102 degree temps that we get about two
weeks out of the summer, and that could be a problem. I will try to
watch it better this summer.

Many thanks for taking the time to email, and I appreciate your help.

Kate