Old 01-06-2010, 03:44 AM posted to misc.rural,rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default ID this type of farm BRIDGE, please

"John Gilmer" wrote in message
u...
"John Gilmer" wrote in message
"Bob Noble" wrote in message
It looks more to me like that is a bridge used to support a big pump
for some kind of irrigation. Note the pump in the middle with the
overhead to rise the pump.

I suspect that the "bridge" served to hold a "hydralic ram" which uses
the velocity of the water to pump a small portion of the water to the
level of the surrounding fields.

Nope. Hydraulic rams need a head of water above the pump so that the
water drops into the ram. - its the action of the water falling into the
ram that makes the pumping happen.

Nope, yourself.

You just don't understand how a hydralic ram operates.

I do but I'd love to see a cite that would prove me wrong. I have a use for
such a beast.

It uses the kinetic energy of a stream to raise a small portion of water
well above the level of the stream.

A stream can certainly be used to do that with a hydraulic ram but the
stream must allow the water to drop into the ram not just flow past it
gently like the water does in a slow moving irrigation channel.

I'd certainly be very interested to see a pic of any hydraulic ram that
works as you say it will. I can't see how a slow moving stream can make
use of the water hammer effect that gives the 'ram' its name but I'd
certainly like to know more details. Can you post a cite please.