Old 01-06-2010, 04:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default sap on tips of peach tree branches

"Ohioguy" wrote in message
I bought a Hale Haven peach tree at Lowe's about 9 weeks ago, and
planted it with half a bag of composted cow manure under the roots. I
also mixed in some of that dehydrated plastic to help it get through any
dry spells.

The plant grew rapidly, and now has put on 10-12" of growth on all the
branches. I was surprised about 3 weeks ago when the tallest branch
suddenly flopped over. There was a small wound of some sort, and the top
~18" or so of the tree was gone. (it is about 4' tall total, and maybe
1/2" at the base.

I noticed that the fast growing tips of maybe half the branches got
shriveled and crisp about a week or so ago, but only a half inch or less
of the tip of each branch. I thought maybe it was during the 3 days or so
we were gone, and I wasn't able to water the plants. The rest of the tree
looked a healthy green.

Now I notice that the tree appears to be putting on new growth out
around the former tips of each branch, with 1-2 new growths appearing.
Some are already nearly half an inch in length.

However, the big problem that I see is that maybe 40% of the tips of the
branches - most of them with the tip damage - are oozing a clear,
gelatinous mass that stays right in the area. I'm not sure if this is
just because the tree is very rapidly growing, with a lot of turgor
pressure right now, or a sign of a more serious problem.

The tree had a couple of spots on the trunk where it looked like it
sustained damage in shipping. Normally I wouldn't consider such a tree,
but I had already tried 4 different nurseries, plus 3 or 4 of the other
stores in the area that have fruit trees in the Spring. Home Depot was
the only one with a Hale Haven peach, which was the variety I wanted.
These spots have completely healed over now, due to the rapid growth of
the plant.

There are always a number of small ants on the tree, and I've noticed
some small round areas appearing at the base of each leaf. It almost
looks like the ants are getting some sort of fluid there, but I'm not sure
if it is actually harmful. I'm keeping my eye out for aphids, and if they
appear, I'm going to spray regularly.

Anyone have ideas for what might be causing this issue? Tree appears to
be growing very rapidly, and looks like it would be on track to go from
about 4' tall to 6' or 7' this year, except that the sudden tip dieback
and 'gelatin' on some of the branch tips worries me. I'm wondering if
this might be infested with something. If so, perhaps I need to cut my
losses now, take it back, and get a new tree? I'm hoping not, but still
wondering.

Thanks!

Sounds like tip borers, they can carry a fungus that can kill your tree.